(This course is conducted in collaboration with Australian Maritime College, University of Tasmania and is approved by Australian Maritime Safety Authority)
This course is not Approved by DG Shipping, Govt. of India
The training programme is provided by Commander Ali’s Academy of Merchant Navy (CAAMN). The programme is conducted in collaboration with Australian Maritime College (AMC), University of Tasmania, Australia. On successful completion of all three phases, Certificate of Competency as a Deck Watch-keeper (Second Mate FG) will be issued by Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).
The minimum educational qualification is “A” level and its equivalent (10+2 years of formal study), within the following streams:
- Science (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) - 50% aggregate
17.5 - 25 years.
Medical and Eye-sight requirements shall be as per the existing standards of AMSA.
This will comprise 3 months training provided by Commander Ali’s Academy of Merchant Navy (CAAMN) at their shore-based academy, located at Survey No. 469,Village Donthi, Narsapur Road Via Toopran, Shivampet Mandal,Medak District - 502334,Telangana, India.
The training during this time will cover the following subjects:
- English Language & Standard Marine Communication Phrases;
- General Ship Knowledge and Safety;
- Monitor Compliance with Legislative Requirements;
- Plan and Conduct a Passage and Determine Position;
- Electronic Aids to Navigation;
- Safe Working Practices aboard merchant ships;
- Seamanship; and
- Watch-keeping and Collision Regulations
Besides the Phase I, this course will also include the Five modular courses as required by STCW ’78 as amended namely:
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Elementary First Aid
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
- Security Training for Seafarers in Designated Security Duties
This training and assessment will be conducted by CAAMN.
Students will complete 18 months of shipboard training, which will include at least 6 months of bridge duties in a capacity that fully understudies the officer of the watch.
During this period, the student’s will complete:
A Task & Guided Study Program (TAGS), covering two booklets of assignments, namely:
TAGS A & TAGS B
(The trainees will be registered to the TAGS Program provided by Australian Maritime College. On completion of TAGS Booklets, the trainee will submit the same to CAAMN who will then evaluate the TAGS. The Final Review and Assessment will be done by AMC).
Students will attend college in Australia for 8 months at Australian Maritime College, Tasmania, Australia. During this time, they will continue their studies in the required subjects and would complete all of the assessment required for the issuance of a Certificate of Competency.
Students would also complete the training necessary for the following STCW/other courses:
- Oil Tanker Familiarisation Course
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System
- Medical First Aid
CAAMN shall provide all the courseware and teaching material for Phase I & II.
- After Phase 1, CAAMN will issue a Certificate of completion to students having successfully completed PRE-SEA TRAINING.
- After Phase II, CAAMN-AMC shall issue a Certificate of completion of TAGS to all students who have successfully completed the TAGS Assignments.
- After Phase 3 of this programme, including all assessments and mandatory/other courses, the student shall be issued with a Deck Watch Keepers(DWK) Certificate of Competency, by AMSA.
- After Phase 3 of this programme, the students will also be awarded a Diploma in Applied Science, provided he can satisfy all criteria for this Diploma.
Total cost of Phase I – Pre Sea Training is Rs. 2,50,000/- (Rupees Two Lakh Fifty Thousand Only) (The above fee includes 3 months Pre-Sea Training, STCW Modular Courses, Indian Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC) and (TAGS) Task & Guided Study Program)
Total cost of Phase II – 18 Months Onboard Training is Rs.3,50,000/- (Rupees Three Lakh Fifty Thousand Only)
To be announced.